Skip to Content

Carbon Monoxide

Faulty gas appliances can produce carbon monoxide. You can't smell it, taste it or see it but it can kill. Symptoms of carbon monoxide posioning include sleepiness, headaches, chest pains, erratic behaviour, diarrhoea and feeling sick, particularly when gas appliances are being used.

Warning signs to look out for:
  • Sooty marks or yellow/brown stains around the appliance
  • An appliance burning yellow orange lazy flame and not a crisp blue flame
  • Smoke in one room - this could show that a chimney or flue is blocked